Yellowed, chipped, or misshaped teeth can be a source of embarrassment. Porcelain veneers can correct many of the dental conditions that keep people from smiling. Veneers are just one of the many popular restorative treatments offered by Dr. Ross Ryan at his Edmond cosmetic dentistry practice. Read on to see if you're a candidate for porcelain veneers.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are thin tooth shaped shells used to create beautiful, evenly shaped teeth. The veneer is custom-made to be a perfect fit in shape, size, and color. Porcelain can be shaded to match perfectly with your teeth, or they can be made in a lighter shade for a brighter, whiter smile.
The process of porcelain veneer treatment typically requires two dental visits. During the first visit, a small amount of enamel is removed from the teeth undergoing treatment. This removal is necessary to allow room for the veneers. Next impressions are made of the teeth. The impressions are sent to a dental lab for the veneers to be molded. When the veneers are complete, a second appointment is needed to fit and bond the veneers to the surface of the teeth.
Porcelain veneers are extremely durable. With proper care, they can last many years.
Am I a Candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers can be used to improve and repair a wide range of dental imperfections, however, they are not suitable for everyone. For those with severe tooth decay or major fractures, dental crowns may be more suitable. Candidates for porcelain veneers should have relatively healthy teeth and gums but suffer from one or more of these dental imperfections:
- Yellowed, discolored, or stained teeth: Porcelain veneers can create a bright white smile. They are a great option for people who are unable to get their desired results with traditional teeth whitening treatments.
- Minor chips or cracks: Porcelain veneers can hide minor chips or small fractures. Veneers add strength to damaged teeth and can help prevent small cracks from further fracturing.
- Worn down teeth: Teeth can become worn down from habitual teeth grinding or misaligned teeth. Porcelain veneers can restore the shape of worn down teeth.
- Gaps between teeth: Porcelain veneers can be used to close gaps between teeth.
- Misalignment: Mild misalignment can be altered with porcelain veneers. You can have straight teeth in as little as two dental visits, which is why porcelain veneers are sometimes called instant orthodontics.
- Uneven or irregular teeth: The appearance of misshaped teeth can be improved with porcelain veneers for a uniform and even smile.
- Short or small teeth: Porcelain veneers can be used to lengthen short teeth or enlarge small teeth.
- Large teeth: Large teeth can be filed down and reshaped with the addition of a smaller, more proportionally shaped veneer.
Schedule a Consultation Today!
Porcelain veneers can give you a beautiful smile. Find out if you're a candidate for porcelain veneers. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Ross Ryan. The experts at our Edmond restorative dentistry practice look forward to helping you in all your dentistry needs.